Ask The Charlotte Home Inspector

Your Charlotte Home Inspection Questions Answered!

Ask The Charlotte Home Inspector header image 2

Picking The Right Fertilizer For Your Grass

December 15th, 2012 · No Comments

With regards to acquiring a beautiful, lush green lawn, a number of aspects are active to achieve its beauty.  Aside from having quality sod, you will need to ensure that you are fertilizing your lawn as it calls for.  Oftentimes, when you go to your favorite nursery, there are two complete aisles of fertilizing products.  Which fertilizer is the best one for lawn types?  Which fertilizer is appropriate for spring, summer or fall?  It is often a time consuming job deliberating between grass fertilizers simply because each one has diverse volumes on its package. For a amateur gardener, it’s difficult to find out what the numbers symbolize and which mix of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium to buy. Yet, equipping yourself with a little awareness could make your choices a lot easier. Listed below are the basics concerning those 3 distinct numbers you will see on fertilizer bags and just how those numbers correspond with the requirements of your turf.

Nitrogen
Nitrogen is the first number that you will notice on the bag of fertilizer. Nitrogen is required for both lawn types and flowers.  The nitrogen amount is the initial component shown mainly because in a way, it will be the most essential element.  Nitrogen is what makes plants grow.  Nitrogen is the element that’s responsible for the green sod and evoking prosperous growth.  It will help the grass develop heartily and supports in protecting against pest infestations.

Phosphorus
Phosphorus should be the second number you will find on a fertilizer bag.  Phosphorus is the natural element that stimulates rooting, blooming, and fruit development. This is what gives the root system its essential nutrients.  Without phosphorus, grass, trees and plants aren’t complete to grow beefy stems, leaves and root systems. When it comes to residential lawn owners and golf course grass care providers, this vital element provides the lawn the nutritional requirements it needs to create a thick carpet of leaf blades. 

Potassium
Potassium is the third number in the three number series on the bag of fertilizer. It is in control of the plant’s hardiness and resistance to pest infestations and diseases.  Potassium helps fortify the roots, and supports in the resistance of drought, wear and tear, and intense temperature ranges. The prices of sod vary considerably depending on the sod’s capability to resist pesky pests, ecological conditions and illnesses. So, the more sensitive the sod variety, the more essential it is to use a fertilizer which has a higher potassium concentration.

So, let’s complete the math on fertilizers. If the fertilizer you decide on has the number sequence 20-10-10 on the bag, it contains 20 % nitrogen, 10 percent phosphorus, and 10 % potassium.  Did you notice that only sums up to 40 %?  Thus, exactly what does the other 60 percent of the fertilizer product include?  The remaining 60 % of the fertilizer consists of nutrients and minerals which include iron and filler mixes that allow you to distribute the necessary nutritional requirements uniformly.

For the sod in your landscaping, golf courses, or perhaps sports fields, you are likely to need to fertilize initially during the month of March, follow-up with a summertime fertilizer in June, and continue on your fertilizer treatment method with a winter fertilizer from September to February.  Putting into action all these simple tasks, you are certain to have a green and luxurious carpet of lawn that will be an inspiration to all who run upon it.

Be Sociable, Share!
Share

Tags: Unusual Findings

0 responses so far ↓

  • There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.

Leave a Comment